Monday, April 13, 2009

Playing Catch-up: February

I can't really remember just what happened back in February, but two obvious things were the Vagina Monologues and the cheerleading competition, so I'll talk about these today.

Vagina Monologues was an awesomely cool experience for me. I signed "My Vagina Was My Village". It was a monologue about women in Bosnia who were raped as a war tactic. It's a horrifying, sad story.

I enjoyed watching everyone perform, and the backstage was fun as well. We all had a blast doing the whole show, and I am definitely interested in doing more things like it.

Because of Vagina Monologues, I'm interested in setting up an organization on campus that works against rape--especially since there were a couple of rapes reports the weekend after the play. We attended a workshop called SAFER (Students Active For Ending Rape) which is committed to making campuses 'safer'. I might be doing something like it next year, so keep your eyes open if you are interested in helping/contributing.

And the cheerleading competition.

It was crazy cool! It is an entirely different experience from high school cheerleading competition, and so much more advanced. There were five colleges altogether, including us, I think. We came in fourth, but we were like ten points away from being in third place, so that's really good for our little squad. We only had 9 cheerleaders/stuntmen while the other squads all had at least 20 or 25 cheerleaders.

So I'm really proud of our team and SO EXCITED for next season. There should be a lot more people joining us and a lot more advanced stunts. I can't wait!

I think that's everything of importance in February. Feel free to hit me upside the head if there's anything I forgot :)

Tomorrow, the next installment in Playing Catch-up...the March issue! It's a lot more exciting than this one, I promise :)

1 comment: